This Rice Crispy Treat Turkey is Exactly What Your Thanksgiving Needs
You are NEVER too old for rice crispy treats - especially when they're this cute.
I don't currently have any kiddos around the house, but that does not stop me from making rice crispy treats on a somewhat regular basis. They're light and they're sweet - which is exactly the kind of pick-me-up I need in the afternoon (that and this Rum Cake...).
So why not add a bit of humor to the dessert spread with this sweet-rather-than-savory turkey? I'm pretty sure the candy filling appeals to all ages too.
And of course there's a little arts & crafts included - if you want to make the paper turkey frills, here's our quick how-to:
Rice Crispy Treat Turkey
Servings: 12 | Prep time: 45 minutes
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
2, 10 oz bags Mini Marshmallows
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Salt
12 cups Rice Crispies Cereal
Candy to fill
1. In a large stockpot, melt together the butter and marshmallows. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Remove from heat.
2. Pour the rice crispies into the pot with marshmallows and stir until all cereal is evenly coated.
3. Working quickly, divide the mixture into 2/3 and 1/3 portions.
4. Divide the smaller 1/3 portion into 4 pieces. Use these pieces to create the wings and drumsticks, remembering that the the wings need to mirror each other so that thinner back parts of them both face upwards on the turkey. Place on a sheet tray and cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 30 minutes and as long as overnight.
5. To make the carcass, take the larger 2/3-portion to create an oblong shape similar to that of a turkey body. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
6. Assemble the turkey just before serving. Use toothpicks to adhere the wings and bones to the turkey carcass. Fill with candy.