Boozy Rum Cake for the Weekend
No matter the time of year, this Rum Cake is the perfect treat.
Servings: 8-12 | Prep Time: 1 Hour + Overnight Soak
290 grams Granulated Sugar
113 grams Unsalted Butter, softened
99 grams Vegetable Oil
4 Eggs, room temperature
4 ounces Sour Cream, room temperature
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Rum Extract
241 grams All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
113 grams Rum (choose your favorite)
Rum Soaking Syrup
198 grams Granulated Sugar
113 grams Rum
113 grams Unsalted Butter
57 grams Water
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1. Make the rum cake: preheat oven to 325. Grease bundt pan or mini bundt pan thoroughly. Whip together the granulated sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, rum extract and vegetable oil. Add gradually to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until homogenous.
3. In another medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture alternately with the rum, in 2 additions each.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-45 minutes for one large bundt or 15-20 minutes for mini bundts, or until skewer inserted in cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave cakes in the pan. Allow to cool before pouring over the rum sauce.
5. For the rum soaking syrup: in a large sauce pan, mix together the butter, water, granulated sugar, salt and rum. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the syrup thickens slightly.
6. Soak the cake: using a skewer poke holes all over the surface of the cake(s). With the cakes still in the pan, pour the rum sauce over the tops in 4 parts, waiting for each part to fully soak in before adding the next. Cover and refrigerate overnight before inverting the cakes out of the pan. Bring to room temperature before serving.