We Can't Get Over these Mini Pumpkins full of Queso
Need a fall themed appetizer? Love pumpkins? Or maybe just "moderately like" pumpkins? This is still the appetizer for you!
Incorporating cream cheese and a hint of pumpkin puree, this Queso is creamy with a kick of spice from the chorizo topping. With that perfect bit of spice, this cheesy dip is a special treat for any dinner party or game night.
They're perfect as part of a fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving table setting too, if you're into that sort of thing (I definitely am).
Simple to make - this comes together in 3 basic steps - roasting the little pumpkins, frying up the chorizo and making a quick queso that features a dash of pumpkin puree.
Pumpkin Queso in Mini Pumpkins
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 45 Minutes (including roasting time)
8-10 Mini Pumpkins
8 oz Chorizo
2 tablespoons Butter
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups Half & Half, divided
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
4 oz Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese or Mexican Cheese Blend
Sliced Red Pepper
1. Roast the pumpkins: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the tops off of pumpkins and scrape out the seeds. Place pumpkins on a baking sheet lined with foil. Brush with olive oil inside and out, then sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast 25-30 minutes, or until pumpkin flesh is tender when pricked with fork.
2. Cook the chorizo: In a frying pan over medium heat, cook chorizo, breaking up into small crumbles, until well browned and cooked through. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
3. Make the queso: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes, until light golden.
4. In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup of the half & half with the tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Pour the remaining half and half into the saucepan with the garlic and whisk to combine. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened. Add the cream cheese and pumpkin puree and whisk until melted and smooth. Stir in the grated cheese, stirring until melted and mixture is once again smooth.
4. Assemble the pumpkins: Divide the cheese amongst the 6 pumpkins. Sprinkle generously with the chorizo, as well as the sliced peppers, cilantro and toasted pepitas. Top with a dollop of sour cream and serve immediately.