Try this Crispy Prosciutto & Peach Grilled Cheese at Your Next Brunch
Updated: Aug 9, 2019
We love a good ol' fashioned grilled cheese, but how can we say no to crispy prosciutto and summer-ripe peaches?
Part of what makes this sandwich so interesting is the use of peaches in a savory context. The recipe calls for thinly sliced peaches tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste - don't be afraid to season those peaches! Embrace your savory side! Also a heads up from our test kitchen: too-thin slices of peach can stick to the pan and fall apart, slice a little thicker at around 1/4" thick to make things a bit easier.
Another fun element is the crispy (fried) prosciutto - which crisps up very similar to bacon - and in fact bacon can be subbed for the prosciutto if you already have a package on hand (unlike healthy foods like salad, I happen to always have a pack of bacon in the fridge, what can I say?).
Crispy Prosciutto & Peach Grilled Cheese
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
For the Grilled Peaches
2 Ripe Peaches, pits removed, skins-on, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
For the Sandwich
8 slices Prosciutto or Thin-Sliced Bacon
Oil for Frying
8 slices Sourdough Bread
6 tablespoons Mayonnaise or Butter
8 thin slices Provolone Cheese
Chopped Parsley, for garnish if desired
1. Grill the peaches: In a large bowl toss together peaches and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Lay slices on grill or grill pan and cook until tender, 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate.
3. For the crispy prosciutto*: heat 1-2 inches of oil to 375F in a deep saute pan or wide sauce pot. Fry prosciutto, in 2 batches, until crispy. Remove to a paper-towel lined cooling rack to drain.
*If using bacon: in a pre-heated frying pan (without oil), cook bacon until browned and crispy. Remove to a paper-towel lined cooling rack to drain.
4. For the sandwich: preheat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Brush one side of all 8 slices of sourdough bread with mayo or butter.
5. Place 4 slices of bread mayo-side-down in preheated pan (or however many will fit). Layer with one slice provolone, grilled peach slices, 2 slices of crispy prosciutto (or bacon) and another slice of provolone. Top with remaining slices of bread, mayo-side-up. Cook until both sides of bread are golden brown and cheese is melted. Slice and serve hot; sprinkle with a little parsley if desired.