Learning How To Cook
Tahini & Honey "Ice Cream" Sandwiches
"Ice Cream" made from coconut milk, tahini and honey sandwiched between dairy/egg-free tahini cookies. Easily make this vegan by substituting the honey for maple syrup.
Notes from the LHTC Team:
This no-churn coconut milk "ice cream" sandwich takes advantage of natural tahini and honey flavors and is a healthier alternative to higher fat ice cream. The mixture can be churned in an ice cream maker if you have one, though we simply poured ours into a square baking dish and let it freeze for a couple of hours. To make nice and neat sandwiches, use the same cookie cutter you used to cut the cookies to cut matching rounds of the frozen "ice cream".
*To make this vegan, replace the honey with maple syrup or agave syrup.
Tahini & Honey "Ice Cream" Sandwich
Yield: 8 Sandwiches
Download the Recipe
For the Ice Cream
1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Almond Milk
2 tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup
1 tablespoon Tahini
1 teaspoon Vanilla
For the Cookie Base
1/4 cup Honey or Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Tahini
1-2 tablespoons Water
1/2 cup Almond Meal
3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
For the Chocolate Dip
8 oz Vegan Dark Chocolate
1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1. Make the "ice cream": in a large bowl beat together the coconut cream, almond milk, honey, tahini and vanilla until well combined.
2. Pour into an 8x8” baking dish, cover and freeze for several hours until firm.
2. For the cookies: preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl stir together the honey, tahini and 1 tablespoon of water. Add almond meal.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda, add to the tahini mixture and combine to form a stiff dough (you made need to use your hands to mix), adding an extra tablespoon of water if necessary.
4. Roll out on a silpat mat (or a floured surface) to about 1/8” thick. Cut into circles 2.5-inches in diameter. Chill for 30 minutes before baking for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
5. Assemble the ice cream sandwich: cut ice cream into rounds using the same cookie cutter you used for the cookies. Place round of ice cream between two cookies and press to seal together. Quickly continue the process with remaining cookies and ice cream and return sandwiches to the freezer.
6. Make the chocolate dip: melt together chocolate and coconut oil. Dip half of each sandwich cookie in the chocolate mixture and garnish with toasted sesame seeds or cocao nibs. Place on parchment-lined sheetpan to set and store in the freezer until ready to serve.