Monster Bark aka Caramel Shortbread Bars
Basically a homemade Twix, just 1,000 times cuter.
What's great about this recipe, other than the adorable candy googly eyes, is the combination of the crisp shortbread base and the creamy caramel. It's easier than ever to make and feeds a crowd. And no one would blame you for making it again after Halloween with all that leftover candy...
Servings: 24 | Prep Time: 2 hours
FOR THE SHORTBREAD
2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Sugar
3/4 cups Unsalted Butter, chilled
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
FOR THE CARAMEL
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
7 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
FOR THE TOPPING
3 cups Bittersweet or Semisweet Chocolate Chips
Assorted Candy, cut into bite size pieces
Candy eyeballs (typically found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store, Michael's or Hobby Lobby)
1. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. To make the shortbread, combine flour and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until pieces are about the size of peas. Add in vanilla. Press shortbread into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until shortbread is golden brown.
3. To make the caramel, combine caramel ingredients in a small stockpot and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir constantly for 5-7 minutes until golden and thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. When the shortbread comes out of the oven, top with caramel and place in freezer until cool to the touch.
5. To add the topping, gently melt the chocolate chips in a double broiler or in the microwave. If microwaving, make sure to stop every 30 seconds to stir until melted.
6. Pour the chocolate on top of the cooled shortbread and caramel and spread evenly. Press candy into chocolate and then transfer to the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. Remove from the refrigerator and gently lift bars out using the parchment paper. Cut into irregular shapes.
7. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.