Mocha Yule Log
A beautiful holiday dessert, one your coffee and chocolate-lovers will not be able to resist.
Also known as a Bûche De Noël in French, the yule log cake has been a holiday favorite for years. Vanilla sponge cake with a rich mocha filling topped with chocolate buttercream frosting makes for a fun holiday sweet.
Mocha Yule Log
PrepTime: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sifted cake flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 tablespoon brewed coffee, cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons 2% milk
1. Heat the oven to 450F. Line a 17X12 jelly/sheet pan with parchment paper . Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl add the 2 eggs, 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on medium to high speed around 5 minutes until pale in color and thickened. Add the vanilla extract and beat few more seconds.
3. Sift the flour and the cornstarch over the egg yolks mixture and with a spatula gently fold it in. Fold in the batter bits as well.
4. In a separate grease-free bowl, add the 2 egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar. With a whisk, whip until firm peaks form. With the spatula, fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolks mixture.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, spread it evenly and bake for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and, when touched, it springs back. As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, invert the cake onto a clean dish towel. Remove the parchment paper, and roll up the cake with the towel. Place on a wire rack to cool
6. For filling, in a bowl, dissolve coffee granules in cream; beat until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel; trim ends. Transfer to a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
7. For frosting, beat all ingredients until smooth. Spread over cake. Using a fork, make lines in frosting to resemble tree bark. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with grated chocolate, if desired. Refrigerate until serving