Pillow-Soft Dinner Rolls
Updated: Aug 4, 2021
Nothing beats warm, fresh bread! Impress your friends and family with these delicious, soft homemade dinner rolls. Once you make them homemade you won’t want to go back to store-bought again!
Prep Time: 3 Hours
1 1/4 cups Warm Water (110-115° F / 43-46° C)
1 packet (1/4 oz) Rapid-Rise Yeast
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/4 cup Vegetable or Olive Oil
2 teaspoons Salt
3 1/2 - 4 cups Bread Flour
Melted butter for brushing, optional
1. In a small bowl, gently mix warm water, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit
at room temperature for about 10 minutes until the mixture begins to
2. In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, oil and yeast mixture. Mix on low
until a loose ball forms, adding more flour by the tablespoon if the
mixture is too wet. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 7-10
minutes, until dough is smooth, elastic and passes the window pane
test (dough can stretch without tearing).
3. Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover with oiled plastic
wrap (or a shower cap!). Leave in a warm place in your home (maybe near a stove or
sunny window) to rise until doubled in size - about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8 baking pan.
5. Punch down the dough to deflate. Then divide dough into 9 equal portions and roll into smooth
rounds; place side by side in prepared pan.
6. Cover and let rise a second time - about 30-45 minutes.
7. Remove cover and bake rolls for about 15-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter while warm, if desired. Enjoy!